OpenSimulator or “OpemSim” as it’s commonly called is a free open-source server suite that allows you to deploy your own Virtual World. It can be hosted on almost any Windows or Linux PC. Our chosen distribution is Dreamworldz by OutWorldz as it provides an easy interface and automated region backups.
From the official OpenSimulator.org:
OpenSimulator is an open source multi-platform, multi-user 3D application server. It can be used to create a virtual environment (or world) which can be accessed through a variety of clients, on multiple protocols. It also has an optional facility (the Hypergrid) to allow users to visit other OpenSimulator installations across the web from their ‘home’ OpenSimulator installation. In this way, it is the basis of a nascent distributed Metaverse.
OpenSimulator allows virtual world developers to customize their worlds using the technologies they feel work best – we’ve designed the framework to be easily extensible. OpenSimulator is written in C#, running both on Windows over the .NET Framework and on Unix-like machines over the Mono framework. The source code is released under a BSD License, a commercially friendly license to embed OpenSimulator in products. If you want to know about our development history, see History.
Out of the box, OpenSimulator can be used to simulate virtual environments similar to Second Life™, given that it supports the core of SL’s messaging protocol. As such, these virtual worlds can be accessed with the regular SL viewers. However, OpenSimulator does not aim to become a clone of the Second Life server platform. Rather, the project aims to enable innovative feature development for virtual environments and the Metaverse at large.
OpenSimulator is getting more stable over time but is still a high complex software system that can suffer various bugs and quirks; handle with care!
- Supports online, multi-user 3D environments as small as 1 simulator or as large as thousands of simulators.
- Supports 3D virtual spaces of variable size within one single instance.
- Supports multiple clients and protocols – access the same world at the same time via multiple protocols.
- Supports realtime Physics Simulation, with multiple engine options including Bullet and ODE.
- Supports clients that create 3D content in real time.
- Supports inworld scripting using including LSL/OSSL and C#.
- Provides unlimited ability to customize virtual world applications through the use of scene plugin modules.
Dreamworld by OutWorldz.com
The Outworldz DreamWorld is a free, pre-packaged Windows-compatible virtual reality Opensimulator system that is easy to install, easy to run, and powerful. It it free and is open source.
It is preconfigured for the Hypergrid, and has both the “Diva” version of OpenSim 0.8.2.1 with Diva’s WiFi admin interface, and the latest Version (0.9) of Opensimulator for you to use. It takes just one click to switch between 0.8.21 and Opensim 0.9 and enjoy the seamless border crossings and Second Life compatibility.
You can finally have an easy-to-use virtual world with HyperGrid capability, automatic backup and easy-to-load simple OpenSim Archive (OAR) and Inventory (IAR) files.
- Loaded with free content!
- No INI file editing!
- Auto-Updater and Automatic Backup
- Hypergrid-enabled grid server for one to N users.
- Non-Player-Character Enabled
- 0.8.2.1 released – Diva’s Wifi Panel
- 0.9 rc2 included
- Control Panel for Advanced Options
- Autoconfigured MySQL Database
- Built-in download/install of curated OAR and IAR files
- Drag and Drop IAR and OAR files to your sim
- Online Help menus and Instructions